Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt wheelie system (including build pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt wheelie system (including build pics)
    Posted: 04 April 2009 at 9:57pm

Just completed the build on a system i designed for my brother.  he wanted a 12v system in one box.  £200 budget. transportable by one person.  long battery life (5+ hrs). for use with ipods etc.  most parts were preowned from ebay.  all drivers were bought new though.

specs:
Power:-
3x 12v 7ah yuasa SLA batteries in parallel - £24

Amplification:-
Sony 100w car amplifier (bridged into 8r) - £15

drivers:-
4x skytronic 8" 'pro woofers' w/ alu frames (very similar to the ciare 12.00sw) - £64
1x maplin 5.25" midrange (polyester wadded behind cone and sealed with epoxy putty)
1x motorola/cts 'powerline' piezo tweeter (modified) - £5

crossover:-
Maplin 3 way 150w crossover  (8" - 20-1500hz) (5.25" - 1500-5000hz) (piezo - 5000-20,000hz)

cabinet:- 12mm MDF (grey textured masonry paint)

wheels:-
Bodged using thick studding and towel rail for axle.  solid rubber tyres
Handle:-
10mm studding wrapped with insulation tape for padding.

weight:-
around 30kg

the setup is really awsome.  very clear and warm.  should work wonders for small gatherings at the beach.  the total 21ah capacity of the batteries should be good for about 8hrs use.  i used a single one of the 7ah batteries in a previous project using the same amp and it gave me 2.5hrs so 3 together are gonna really work well.  we did a test run and walked 30 mins away from the house, up hills, etc.  it didnt put any strain on the hour walk there and back. 

build-

RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 7:08am
Very nice Clap

You could be onto a winner. I Think people would buy this if it was on the market

Thumbs Up
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 9:31am
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

Very nice Clap

You could be onto a winner. I Think people would buy this if it was on the market

Thumbs Up

very true.  i think it could be kitted around more of a busking use and uprated with lower powered, higher effieiecy oem drivers.  if i built it using retail parts for around £200, id make it for £120 oem.  retail of a complete unit would probably be around £800.  not much to a professional southbank/london busker really.  selling direct via ebay would be a little goldmine if marketing was done right. 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 10:18am
I think some slightly more 'rugged' wheels might be an idea, so that it can be more easily taken off-road? Perhaps even getting creative with a suspended frame from the handle so that it has an axle of sorts?

And some drivers in the top of the cab so that the poor sod lugging it doesn't get left out too much!

Still, top idea.
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 1:16pm
Nice, much nicer than my 12v gaffer taped togther rig, I'll post a pic anyway when I can find it so you all can laugh at it!

I bet that goes pretty loud, you often don't need a lot of watts for lower amounts of Splease
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:33pm
it goes pretty damn loud.  not enough to hinder loud conversation 10m away, but loud enough to dance to.  the drivers integrate well and the multiple 8" woofers give the system a nice grunt.  the axle is designed to allow bigger (pneumatic) wheels.  it was just that the local hardware store had limited supply of wheels.  gonna also need to put some 'L' extrusion on the bottom edges to stop damage to the mdf when going over big bumps.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 12:48am
That is pretty damn nice :). ever thought about putting a 12v transformer (lab type transformers seem to give out far higher currents than those which have the trans on the plug) in there to give the system a bit more power? Dont know if the batteries give plenty of current as it is though :).

Looks real good as well - any idea of the weight?
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 12:08pm
cracking build! a pal and i are getting parts together for a 12 volt rig and i'm really pleased to hear what performance you are getting from a 7 Ah yuasa, i use four 34s! seemingly once again skytronic are making some strangely competent looking drivers too, i don't know what the world is coming to... four 8" drivers should sound really sweet, nice and quick but with a fair bit of grunt and growl.

james.
mardy hippy.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 3:16pm

That's rather nice Rich.Clap

I like these small oddball builds,its just what this site is all about.

Be seeing you.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by subbass subbass wrote:

That is pretty damn nice :). ever thought about putting a 12v transformer (lab type transformers seem to give out far higher currents than those which have the trans on the plug) in there to give the system a bit more power? Dont know if the batteries give plenty of current as it is though :).

Looks real good as well - any idea of the weight?

its gotto be around 30/35kg's.  so not a pleasant lift for a single person, but the wheels are more than adaquate for getting it up and down off curbs.  it also flys along moderately long grass and rougher tracks.  computer power supplies are pretty good for powering this sort of thing indoors.  im sure a power cap would be required to deliver the 15a kickdrum bursts the amp sucks when driven hard.  the batts give more than enough current.  i imagine a single one struggling. 
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by james folkes james folkes wrote:

cracking build! a pal and i are getting parts together for a 12 volt rig and i'm really pleased to hear what performance you are getting from a 7 Ah yuasa, i use four 34s! seemingly once again skytronic are making some strangely competent looking drivers too, i don't know what the world is coming to... four 8" drivers should sound really sweet, nice and quick but with a fair bit of grunt and growl.

james.

cheers man.  im sure 4 34ah's are gonna give you awsome reserves.  the 4 7ah ones are great on this little amp.  i have a spare skytronic 8" i want to use in a mini single driver horn based around the same expansion rate as the lab horn.  the drivers have 3" coils!  i dont think the excursion limits are gonna live up to the power handling though.  the front plate is only about 3mm thick, and the spider isnt gonna allow huge excursions because it is so small to accomodate the huge former.  definately worth the £16 they costed though.

jbl - im waiting for someone to do a mini horn rig running from 12v:)  that will be a very interesting project for this place.  maybe a group design could be thought up for speakerplans members to build for the summer....
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 5:34pm
Anyone else thinking mini 10" / 12" scoops? =] or little HD15s? I know the acoustics would probably be way out, but that doesnt really matter .. does it?

Maplins have reasonable caps btw- £29 for a 1F if you can pick them up from there. Unless your system is pushing around 1k then you shouldnt need any bigger 0.o

Edit: if it was pushing 1k with a 12v system then your wires would probably be fried anyways :)

Edited by subbass - 06 April 2009 at 5:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>