Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folded horn hybrid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:02am

Originally posted by login4 login4 wrote:

hi guys, this has been an interesting read and quite exiting, because as i have said before there are loads of these ported horns out in thailand and they realy do sound great,

i did notice that the throw and sheer horn spl wasn't as much as a standard horn loaded bin but it was realy warm bass and dropped realy low,

the only design that iv found these even resembles what i heard out there was this:

and it does look like there might be some sort of tapped bit there with the 10L section on the horn...
you need to go and hear 8 or 12 XXL'sShocked

i told you in a post ages ago about those 2 x 18 EAW cabs, the one where the drivers are on an angle to each other, quite deep cabs

we wiped the smile off the engineers faces
we had 12 xxl's they had 10 or 12 cabs, you do the math

someone that was on a turbo float at carnival years ago, jumped off to come and asked us (we were static) how we are achieving so much bass OUTSIDEConfused
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:08am
ye iv always liked the look of the XXL bin, would love hear them some day, i think that you should stick to that look for the Dubsubs too.
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:11am
it will look very similar, but so much better
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 6:15am
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

Rough plan....

(god i love hornresp! i would have used it earlier if it hadnt looked so daunting!)
thats mad, I mentioned above about me taking a picture of a cabinet in a shop that was a chinese design
well that isn't far off, the only differance is, the shape of the port

I'll go and listen to it today

you clever sod Jake_fielder
just been down to the shop and it looks like this

the brand is called HUPER, Danish design Chinese built

the scale of the 15 is too small, just imagine the driver bigger 
img82/7527/12344xy7.jpg
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 8:18am
I once built this chipboard cab, started life as a straight horn, my llittle bro wanted to take it to a party so we sawed it in half folded it up and made up a new rear chamber with offcuts, didn't sound to bad, he reckoned it floored a pair of Bose 302 bins at the party.
Had to be destroyed to get the 15XB driver out as it was sealed into the cabinet.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc107/Subsoniks/ChipboardBodge2.jpg

JaKe
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:04am
Im going to play about with my design so that it is suited to the drivers i have, then i can make a prototype with a two ports, one vented to the outside and one vented into the horn, then i can block one or the other and compare the outputs!Big%20smile

@mykey, after i had put in a few different chamber sizes and port length thats the first drawing i came up with, and it just sort of fitted... pure luck! looking at it now, it just looks like half a USB with a non-onverted driver!

I just noticed where i have put the mouth size is 4800 its actually 3600, it doesnt make to much difference to the plot tho.
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:37am
For a prototype I would be tempted to make the rear chamber about 50% larger than in your calculations to give you some room for tuning, you can then change the volume with bricks etc.
In my design the port  throat is loaded by the volume of air in the horn so that needs taking into account when calculating the port size.
The design you have posted also resembles a series tuned bandpass enclosure if you tune the port onto the throat.

JaKe
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:38pm
Im going to fine tune the design for my paudios, then make a prototype 50% bigger as you say, then i can work out the tunings, I might make the proto out of some chipboard/ floorboard stuff in my garage.... im getting well into ported horns, it'l probably be a couple of months before i prototype it though........
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by JaKe JaKe wrote:

In my design the port  throat is loaded by the volume of air in the horn so that needs taking into account when calculating the port size.

Sorry to keep picking at your brains Jake... this is what I can't get my head round..how do I model with this taken into acount...by modelling the port as the horn throat and rear chamber as front chamber of a front load horn??? This obviously produces a plot with a peak higher uip the range due to small "throat" (port)  size.
The main problem is that I am trying to apply this concept further up the range..I can see (and make sense of) the large port area in your design which will lower cut off for the horn element.. in a design tuned for low mid frequency this is harder to balance out.
suiluj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiluj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2008 at 4:35pm
an 18 version...
http://www.speakerstore.nl/index.php?l=nl&pg=11&c=28
BooM BASSTIK EleCtronics and Communications Engineer
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
suiluj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiluj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2008 at 4:39pm
more like an X1. but with rounded rear ports
BooM BASSTIK EleCtronics and Communications Engineer
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2008 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by jethrocker jethrocker wrote:

Originally posted by JaKe JaKe wrote:

Sorry to keep picking at your brains Jake... this is what I can't get my head round..how do I model with this taken into acount...by modelling the port as the horn throat and rear chamber as front chamber of a front load horn??? This obviously produces a plot with a peak higher uip the range due to small "throat" (port)  size.
The main problem is that I am trying to apply this concept further up the range..I can see (and make sense of) the large port area in your design which will lower cut off for the horn element.. in a design tuned for low mid frequency this is harder to balance out.

Could you post what your doing with your sims?
I take it you have had a look at my sims - http://speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12655&PN=5

PS where are you based in Mexico?

JaKe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>