Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P-audio XMAX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-audio XMAX
    Posted: 11 February 2008 at 7:43pm
Can anybody shed any light on this?

I am designing a Horn with a ported rear chamber, ideally for an E18-600a, The Xmax is specced at a measely 5mm which, if true, will probably be no-good for this design. I have heard that Paudio xmax figures are worked out a different way and are underrated. How can i work out/compare Paudio xmax to other manufactures, or more importantly: is this going to be a problem!:

First graph is horn output, Second graph is horn and port output combined. (this is at 650w input) 

Does the cone displacment look worrying to you guys? It doesnt look to great from where im sitting.....

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 11 February 2008 at 7:44pm
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 7:51pm
Decent size pics.....

Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 8:19pm
the driver will survive acording to your plot if you highpass it at 35Hz

P-audio states the mathematical X-max Hag-Hvc/2

other manufacturers use the Hag-Hvc/2+(1/4*top plate)
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 8:23pm
Aha! just the man i was hoping would reply!

Thank you, the displacement looked similar to the displacment in the PWG thing i built with these drivers. Brilliant, all thats left now is a prototype........ Ermm  i'll get round to it eventually.....

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 11 February 2008 at 8:23pm
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 10:29pm
Jake, the xmax is generally considered the point at which the coil doesn't exert force on the cone as linearly any more.

What you shoud be more concerned about, is xmech, which is the point at which mechanical damage occurs. (although you won't get much output past xmax, probably).
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 11:12pm
Good point, Also i was just thinkin, this is with a sinewave so with regular music it probably wouldnt matter anyway.....

and according to the model going from 650w to 800w only increases the output 1dB but the cone moves an extra 1mm that doesnt include power compresion.... so i'll probably not worth putting anymore juice in than the RMS in this case.

AND: Just had a look and: The cone has to move 1mm further for every one 1 dB gain over 650w (Roughly)

Hornresp says four of these with 650w in each will do +140dB @ 50-100Hz
I know its not like that in real life but it should be sufficent.....

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 11 February 2008 at 11:18pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 11:21pm
one last thing before i get a migrane staring at the computer....

Paudio website says the Xmech p-p is 30mm so i shouldnt be able to damage it anyways.......

....right, im off....

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 12 February 2008 at 9:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply