Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30hz - 40hz PA soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metaverse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30hz - 40hz PA soundsystem
    Posted: 05 September 2008 at 11:16am

Hi everyone - I've cruised through speakerplans once or twice before but i've just now registered and this is my first post so I want to say a quick thanks to those who manifested this great place in cyberspace Big%20smile

I'm writing mainly because in the next couple of months I will be throwing a once a month electronic music event featuring lots of bass heavy music and I need to buy/construct a PA system that will shake the walls of this little 75 person bar ...

BUT I'm a virgin to PA setups ... And to DIY speaker assembly... The "essential reading" list thread is so huge that its going to take me some time to comb through  so I was wondering if in the mean time you kind folks could possibly offer me some advice - pointers, ect ...

The General plan :::

Initially I was hoping to construct something retarded and overkill but I dont think I need to break glass in this small place , not yet anyways ... I think maybe 35-40hz response would be good for now ...

And for what I see myself using this soundsystem for in the next 2 years is - this small bar , maybe another slightly larger bar and some indoor and outdoor house parties that I could use a handcart to move my equipment into ... If I could rock this small to semi-small spots i'd be happy ... Of course , as long as the whole place was rattling 

My MAIN concern is DOING THE MUSIC JUSTICE. Giving the songs their proper range of sound .... And since i'm a bass fiend [dnb - dubstep - breakz - hiphop] the low end is my nirvana ...

range of bass is more important than overall loudness , considering this place is so small... But I do want it to be a wild dance party so I need enough volume and bass to rock this little bar. 

I'm thinking I wont spend more than 2k unless the ratio of performance and value was dramatically increased proportional to the amount of cash increased. 

I do want new equipment ...

any help is appreciated

thanks

~ meta

Edited by metaverse - 05 September 2008 at 11:19am
metaverse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metaverse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2008 at 11:17am

I also have a thread going on over here if this helps at all:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129222

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2008 at 11:28am
2 X1 subs and 2 X15 mid-tops with budget amps (proline,berry ep series, etc) and behringer ultradrive processing should come in at 2 grand or slightly over and will be enough to trouble a 75 person bar.

Load the X1s with PD1850 and get the best components you can afford for the X15s and I'm sure you wont be dissapointed.

Horns would be ridiculous in such a small venue and the G-subs wont go low enough. You could design a larger double 18 reflex to go lower than the G-sub but the X1 works very well by most accounts and with a nice 15inch+2inch reflex mid-top should rock a venue that size. Bear in mind that the X1 sounds cack above 100Hz so you'll want a mid-top that can go pretty low (80-90Hz), this pretty much precludes 12inch drivers or horn-loaded mid-tops unless there is a kick bin like the HD15 between them and the X1s; this is unnecessary for a venue this size so the X15 seems like the most logical choice.

Do not be tempted to use cheaper divers in the X1's, as they are prone to destroying them.

me so horny, me love you long throw.
metaverse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metaverse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2008 at 10:56pm

LOL - 2 live crew baby !!

I checked out the specs on those cabinet designs and thankfully i've got a couple friends who are handy with word working and angles in particular ...

When you say that Horns would be ridculous - are we talking knocking over stand up bottles or what lol ??  Another thing I was thinking , even if it is more than enough for this little club I could always turn the gain down a bit ... If I can get a better deal for something over powered and have the option to use that power in another venue i'd go for that - assuming it wasn't drastically more.

And again I'm hoping for the response to be under 40 ... because i play music with very very low bass tones...

thanks a million for your help

~ meta

Edited by metaverse - 05 September 2008 at 11:03pm
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2008 at 1:53am
I built a pair of X1 variations ( changed the shape of the cabinets to fit my existing stacks ) and loaded them with PD1850..

Have used one of these per side with a Void Impulse 3T on top and powered off a Chevin A6000/3000 combo.. Worked well with bands in smallish venues ( 100-200 people )

One issue that may arise is the availability of the 1850 in the US, and unfortunately its not just a case of sticking something with an 18" diameter in that cab - most drivers will self destruct in that cab, but people here report good results with the P-audio SD18 wich should be relatively easy to get hold of in the US..

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2008 at 6:52am
to get horns to work to 35hz in that space would mean filling up the venue with bins - bandpass will work much better in that space, and the x1 is an excellent place to start.

metaverse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metaverse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 1:01am

Thanks for the information guys ...

I've been able to narrow things down pretty well so far - I've got this thread going on as well:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1603939#post1603939

I've come to the conclusion that i'm about 95% sure i'm going with the x1 cabinet design however petermoller scared the hell out of me when he said:

"most drivers will self destruct in that cab"

So I guess my next question is how would I know what wont self destruct LOL?

The drivers being suggested are the SD18 over and over again however someone else in the other thread on diyaudio suggested using a void V18-1000 and another point was brought up that I shouldn't just go for 18's in the cabinet because size doesn't increase the bass output and he suggested the Eminence Lab12 Generation II 12" sub ... I was hoping to get some of your opinions on these ???

Then there's the situation with the mids/highs , more than likely i'll go with the x15 cabinet design as it is the only one really suggested and i'm assuming its the one of the most complimentary to the x1.  As per biotecs suggestion the x15 will probably fill my needs just fine and that sounds good to me.  Although there is the issue of the needing mids that go down around 80-90hz response to cover up for the SD18 assuming I go that route - any suggestions ??

As far as crossovers go - i'm leaning towards the Ultradrive as that seems to be the most widely suggested for abilities and cost however the reliability has also been spoken about as questionable - this kind of makes me uneasy so i'm also considering the dbx DriveRackPX with is about 1/3 more the price however if it can do all the same things and is rock solid reliable i'll go with it for the extra few bucks - Opinions/Suggestions??

Then there is the case of amps which I haven't really even begun to explore , ideas??

Thanks again guys

~ meta

metaverse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metaverse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 2:00am
I just now looked at the price of a SD18 and didn't quite expect them to be over 400.00 ... 
When compared to the Eminence 12" thats 150 or so my next question is ...

What are the pros/cons for going with that 12" in the X1 box and what are the pros/cons going with the SD18 in the x1 box?

Would there be a dramatic difference?

i'm guessing the 12 would give more punch and the 18 more of a wave - bowl of bass soup feeling ??  Or does this hinge more upon the box itself?

Edited by metaverse - 07 September 2008 at 2:07am
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 11:00am
Originally posted by metaverse metaverse wrote:

The drivers being suggested are the SD18 over and over again however someone else in the other thread on diyaudio suggested using a void V18-1000 and another point was brought up that I shouldn't just go for 18's in the cabinet because size doesn't increase the bass output and he suggested the Eminence Lab12 Generation II 12" sub ... I was hoping to get some of your opinions on these ???

Shocked

Once upon a time, people would ask your question, and someone who didnt know what they were talking about, would reply with utter crap..

Not this time, Biotec is spot on.

If you use 2x15"+2" comp driver Midtop, I would say there are 3x simple sub solutions.

1) 1x pair of X1s :
Best driver for this: 1850, 2nd Best: V18-1000, alternatives: Dont know

2) 1x pair of custom 2x18 reflex:
Give each 18" 215litre chamber (15litres used by driver + bracing), tuned to 35hz, and there's plenty of 18"s in the US that would work in that, especially Eminence,  B&C and FANE 18XB.

3)1x Pair of Superscoopers or Eminence 18" Scoops
B&CTBX100, FANE 18XB are easily located in US, and in the above scoops would rattle your place to bits from 40hz up, and be just as loud as a pair of 2x18, with the same power input.  I hear Eminence Sigma 18 might even sound ok in those as well, but wont be as high power as 18TBX100 or V18-1000.

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by metaverse metaverse wrote:

I just now looked at the price of a SD18 and didn't quite expect them to be over 400.00 ... 
When compared to the Eminence 12" thats 150 or so my next question is ...

What are the pros/cons for going with that 12" in the X1 box and what are the pros/cons going with the SD18 in the x1 box?

Would there be a dramatic difference?

i'm guessing the 12 would give more punch and the 18 more of a wave - bowl of bass soup feeling ??  Or does this hinge more upon the box itself?

As I tried to point out before: Theres a *LOT* more to it, than just sticking a driver in a box, and while the Lab12 certainly is a beast in hornloaded cabs, I doubt it'd work well in the X1..  You might be able to design a bandpass cab that will work well with the Lab12, but It wont be anything like the X1.. If you want to use the Lab12 - I'd suggest tooling up for a complex build and building the labhorns this driver was designed for..

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 6:56pm
Lev, what about the throw problems with the scoop though, seen this first hand recently with the usual Reflex system replaced by scoops and then Labs for special nights.
All the bass in the office was how it was described. the 2 x 18 reflex, although heavier and less efficient wouldn't have these issues.
 Question for you anyhow, what about Hogs, do theyt suffer from the same bass next door problems?
 Thanks
Nick

Edited by nickyburnell - 07 September 2008 at 9:31pm
It's everything, not everythink!
metaverse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metaverse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2008 at 9:07pm

Thanks for the info Lev ... I'm thinking at this point , considering the prices I may just go with one x1 cabinet with the VOID and then spring some extra cash on a better amp than I had originally intended on buying when i was definetly going to with 2 x1's.

I'm thinking the one 18" box may be enough to start with considering how small this place is ... Between that and the two x15 cabs , I think I might be ok.  Then again I dont have the experience you guys got so It might sound sh*t weak ... What do you think?

Edited by metaverse - 07 September 2008 at 9:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>