Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jah Tubbys modified TUBE preamp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Redhemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jah Tubbys modified TUBE preamp
    Posted: 27 September 2008 at 8:03pm
I'm proud to present what I think is the first tube modified and best Jah Tubbys  preamp.

See the picture in the link below :

http://www.box.net/shared/qixbs545cg

I'v also upgraded the opamps and nearly all capacitors to premium audio caps.
The opamps where simple and low cost TL072 and now are high quality opa2134.
The caps that Jah Tubbys did build in where absolutely not audio caps - industrial ones - and there was even those ugly sounding ceramic capsThumbs%20Down all over the audio path.
I did upgrade them with quality MKP,Teflon,Styroflex and 3 big paper in oil Obbligato caps.
I did a backward engeneering to get schematic and mesured all caps values - because the values were scratched off the caps by Tubbys- and then I simulated the preamp in PSPICE.
These simulation confirmed what I did hear before from different Tubbys 3 way preamp. The crossover point are very "exotic" and the values for graphic equalizer awfull.
Now the crossover is more narrow than before resulting in better low mids definition.
The value for the equalizer are now very sharp resulting in better control over the different bands.
The tubes are 6H6P with high power output capabilities to drive plenty of amps.
The tubes are on the output in an SRPP configuration.
Oh and I did ad stereo input for the two deck so now you can play those old stereo records like Twinkle Brothers Natty Dread Uptown where the voice was on the left chanel and the music on the right one. Now you can hear both!!!
I've made this upgrade for LION YOUTH SOUND SYSTEM from Geneva,Switzerland and now the sound is really awesome and they are really happy.Big%20smile

I will post some more picture later from the sound system in use.

Any feedback welcome

Preacher View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2008 at 8:27pm
ClapClapClap

A cool modification project, just something a bit special about tube's in my opinion. Would love to see a picture or vid of it in full 'glow'.
Stone Lion Sound System, The Garden City Rockers. It's all about the music & the vibe.
Dub Defector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2008 at 10:46pm
massive amount of work on that..

wouldn't it be better/easier though to just build a newly designed one from scratch?
Rough Every Time... http://www.dubselector.co.uk
Joseph Redhemption View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Redhemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 2:36pm
Yes it was a lot of work from design to testing but it is worth all the efforts.
Yesterday we had a session and whe where truly amazed by the gain in quality.
The mids are so present and rich. A lot more details than before.
The highs are so lovely now. Nothing harsh even when played very loud.

The next step is to build one from scratch as you suggest. I didnt do it this time because of the cost involved but have already the schematic.

Some more pics from the preamp in action.

http://www.box.net/shared/9uortufrnj
http://www.box.net/shared/x6oo6uiomu
http://www.box.net/shared/53xdggxscs
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 5:00pm
wicked!

Is valve modifying gear something you do lots of? Would love to see more of this kind of work.
S

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 5:12pm
Brilliant stuff! I love tubes of all kinds...

sheggy - saw your valve amp over at your thread - care to post any details?
Away on extended leave.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:53pm
I don't have a valve pre amp but I've been thinking about having one made for some time. I've also considered just putting in a TLA valve stage so that it gives my Hi-Fi a valve character.
It's easy - especially for reggae sound ites to romanticise on tube amps like I do; lugging them around and maintaining them would be a different matter. Still, when I built up my Hi-Fi I wanted to recreate a certain nostalgic sound so used vintage amps including that power amp DB, it's a hand built 300W 8 x 6L6 monobloc. At the moment I use it to drive a single sub between 30-80 Hz and together, for the power, they sounds like nothing I've heard!

That's the insides. Even the transformers are hand wound!

S
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 9:06pm
what was the overall cost of the project if you don't mind me asking?
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 9:23pm
Really nice stuff!

I have a thing for valves - I try to stick them somewhere in the signal chain when I can't use a valve amps. You can find all sorts of schematics (or design your own) for valve things on the net (instead of buying from TLA...). I think there's a few on my hard drive if you're interested...

Hand wound trannies - there's some soul in that amp!

PS

Have you heard some of Nelson Pass's solid state amps?
Away on extended leave.
Preacher View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 1:20pm
I would also like to have a valve run system, this could be the way forward, a rack of super light weight digital amps with a valve pre could be a winner. Just need to rob a bank now or get lucky on the lotto!!
Stone Lion Sound System, The Garden City Rockers. It's all about the music & the vibe.
Joseph Redhemption View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Redhemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 5:05pm
Posted: Today at 12:06am By sKs01
what was the overall cost of the project if you don't mind me asking?
I did the hole work for nearly 900.- Swiss francs.

Edited by Joseph Redhemption - 19 October 2008 at 11:04am
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 6:44pm
About 400 quid, seems like pretty good value then. Perhaps you would consider commisions? I definately think that there is a niche here

DB, I'm with you on the valve stage in the signal path but I do think that this is best at the input (preamp) stage and at the power end. I'm slightly suspicious of the cheaper hybrid tube gear that often runs 12AX7 at low voltages where they don't perform as nicely - having said that I'm going on the accepted wisdom: a lot of fart is talked about valves of course. TLA have been guilty of cashing in on hybrid tech too but I can't fault two of my fav bits of gear: The TLA C1 and the EQ1.

I haven't tried the TLA Tubetracker or for that matter the Allen & Heath mixer but I will one day...

Also, I take it you mean http://www.passlabs.com/ - very interesting. Thanks for that - I'll be spending some time there!

S
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>