Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Superscoops and G-Sub combination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Superscoops and G-Sub combination
    Posted: 06 November 2008 at 4:47pm
OK, so we have two superscoops and are just on the brink of building a g-sub (we got two 186 drivers and a couple of sheets of ply!) to run with them. We had hoped that this would give us that extra punch for dancehall style sounds, but have had some comments that this may not work well Confused

I've seen and heard systems running double 18 reflex cabs allongside (or ontop of) scoops many times and it sounded awesome.. but maybe they weren't g-subs.. Shocked

Jah Tubbys is a good example (see pic) but i heard a ragga/dancehall sound at St Pauls carnival a few years back that blew me away with this combo.

Any comments from people?

Edited by Dub Defector - 06 November 2008 at 4:48pm
Rough Every Time... http://www.dubselector.co.uk
Dub Defector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 4:58pm
oh, and i remember seeing Russ and Lol's Boomshakalacka sound a number of times back in the day and they had three or for double 18s at least running with their scoops.. sounded great Big smile

Edited by Dub Defector - 06 November 2008 at 4:59pm
Alex_C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 5:07pm
high pressure used to do it for a while... i'll let phil know there's a thread on it incase he's got any comments
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 5:21pm
Wouldn't PD186 work well in USB or ES-18BPH? If it is the mid/kickbass you are after.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by supasniper supasniper wrote:

high pressure used to do it for a while... i'll let phil know there's a thread on it incase he's got any comments

Fe sure, please do.. all comments at this crucial stage essential!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

Wouldn't PD186 work well in USB or ES-18BPH? If it is the mid/kickbass you are after.

Maybe, think there might be some phase problems as we are using a JTS 3-way preamp as our crossover and you don't have control over the crossover points or any timing/delay control.

I was guessing that reflex cabs would work better than horns and be less prone to phasing issues when used with scoops.

Edited by Dub Defector - 07 November 2008 at 1:57pm
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 6:27pm
Scoops have phase issues on their own.

G-subs wouldn't be ideal on top but you wouldn't need to have delays in the rig, unlike the bandpass horns.

Edited by Deadbeat - 06 November 2008 at 6:27pm
Away on extended leave.
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 6:32pm
Do you know what the crossover points on the preamp are?
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Dub Defector Dub Defector wrote:

I've seen and heard systems running double 18 reflex cabs allongside (or ontop of) scoops many times and it sounded awesome..

Same here! That combo sounds superb!

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by billso billso wrote:

Do you know what the crossover points on the preamp are?

Tubbys trade secret but i 'd guess similar to Mostec:

bass - 30 - 130hz
mid - 130hz - 4.5khz
top - 4.5 - up

but others here may know Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

Same here! That combo sounds superb!

Thanks tek, good reading. Still not conclusive mind. Any idea what frequencies Nick (Operation)  was running them at? Same as the scoops or low mid? If its low mid it would seem to be a waste of a good sub.. they are 'subs' after all. In the plans section Rog says for reggae and dancehall run them from as low as they go, all the way to 180hz (which covers that low mid mostly anyway).. so i guess as long as there are no major phasing issues i cant really see why it should be a problem running them with scoops.. 

Any other thoughts?

Edited by Dub Defector - 06 November 2008 at 7:37pm
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 10:09am
What other speakers do you own? mids/tops etc
Do you own an active crossover?
and do you already have the preamp?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>