Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jah Tubby preamp mods continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2008 at 10:32am
Yes Mykey!

I'm a Hackney man. Then we up sticks in '79, and move out to the country - LeytonstoneWink

I use to walk up the High Rd and look in Holiday Muisc, and especially Freedmans. They has a Synare 3 in the window. Cost £129.99 I think. The only good ting about Leytonstone I thought - at the time.

Well, I'm not gonna say nuttin' 'bout Elvins equipment, or prices!Wink

As for the ginga, I think it was just before my time there. I heard rumours at the time. Wasn't it a Soundlab unit?

DC - Yes, I've heard the Soundtracs story (TL072) before. Even though TL072, NE5532, have the same pin-out configuration, and can be interchanged to some extent, they are quite different devices. TL's are JFET devices (high input impedence, low current current dissipation, etc), NE's are bipolar (good at accepting and driving low impedances, lower noise - under certain conditions, etc). Other things come into play, of course. The design of the circuit, quality of components, psu, etc.

I can't answer your question about Mad Prof/Soundtracs link.

Deadbeat - I more or less agree, with what you say about valves/tubes.

The Japanese and American differences go much deeper.....

Most traditional Japanese/ Oriental music, contain a lot of mid to high frequency content. Delicate strings, percusion, and metalic sounds. American traditional music contains a lot bass to mid content. This has transfered itself down to all areas of audio design.

Japanese analogue synthersisers (Roland, Korg, Yamaha) were known for producing mainly delicate and swirlly sounds. American analogue synths (Moog, Sequential, APR) were known for producing bass, aand fat sounds. Same goes for speakers, microphones, phono cartridges, amplifiers, mixers, etc.

Who remembers the advertising war between Mackie and Soundcraft? Too be honest, it was more about Mackie running down the 'Great Britsih Eq', which was inherent to Soundcraft consoles.

British ears lay in the middle of the two. Maybe that's why the UK are still producing top class gear. SSL, Neve, Focusrite, just to name a few.

By the way.......

I got some pics of a nice unit that appeared on my bench, this week. Never seen one before, so I will try n post a pic up.....

Give Thanks

Masai

Facebook: Masai Judah
Maarty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 8:17pm
This is a great topic, good to see people finally been a bit more open regarding the pre-amp debate. For too long our UK brethren have been stick-fast and quite defensive regarding the use of such equipment. Something I do understand considering the history and development of sound culture within the UK. But it has became so entrenched within UK reggae culture that even bridging the subject was a frightening prospect for anyone, let alone an outsider. Generally I've kept well away from such debates.
RENSAAB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RENSAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:44pm
I love pre-amps and the emotions they can stir up between sound men!

"...you preamp never tune right from from it build because my tops sound "tschh tschh" and yours sound "tsss tsss..." LOLLOL

Sound argument between Blacka Dread and King Tubbys. Laughed so hard i nearly dropped!

"The secret of the Scoop, what a wonderful piece of Science" - Tony ASS.

"when the amplifier and voice coil are in complete synchronicity there is magic" - A Well Respected Amp Guru
Joseph Redhemption View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Redhemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2008 at 7:54pm
Some teasing before new tests and tweaking

mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2008 at 8:19pm
how will I sleep tonight...
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by mskeete mskeete wrote:

how will I sleep tonight...

LOLLOLLOLLOL

I've got some Calpol here, if you need it!

Me have a new name fi him - Hot Rod Joe! The fastest amp mod/tweaker inna di area!!!
Pow, pow! Or should that be bang, bang..... Joke me a make, iya!

Can't wait to see your the finished products and a full report, Joseph.

Dis is more thrilling then 'Hereoes' to blouse n skirts!!!
Facebook: Masai Judah
wasup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 3:37pm
Yes keep up the works!! keep ur intention straight!

mind you isnt that how some speaker company start out EXPOSE everyones secrets but now them are very secret about their own!beware lol
more time
andy
a butterfly can cause an whirl wind!
Plant a sead and JAH WORKS BE DONE!!
Rootsdriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rootsdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 11:21pm
Hey Mark,
seeing that you can not sleep anyway, you should have some spare time to clear your inbox.

Cheers Chris
Joseph Redhemption View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Redhemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 7:28pm
Ok, finally I got the JTS finished with my new linear crossover.

And replaced the power supply with my new one. The original one was no more enough to drive the opamps.

First the phase timing test
This is with the original xover
Bass and Mids out at 212Hz

And this is with the new one.
The plot speaks for itself
Bass and Mids out at 140Hz.
I changed the crossover point a little lower.

Now Mids and Highs at 4.3kHz of the original one
80uS of delay

And this is the new one
Mids and Highs at 5Khz
20uS of delay

This is the frequency response taken at tape out with all pot at 12 o'clock (exept parametric mids full clockwise) from the original xover.

And the new one with same settings

I'm very happy with these results.
This preamp will be used in january in Geneva with a special guest from UK(The special guest sells preamps on behalf of JTS).
This will be the real test.

Soon I will publish the results of a Mostek 4 way.
I can tell you now that the build quality is 10 time worser than JTS. This doesnt mean it sound bad.

Raspect
Jo

russ d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 8:59pm
ha ha... the `real test`, hmm maybe i will make it sound crap because its all different now !...ha ha.... anyways, it`ll be interesting to hear... now if the eq can sound anything like the SSL x-rack eq i just got for the studio, then you`ll see me smiling, so get to work joseph ! 
Disciples on I-Tunes.

Disciples on Bandcamp: http://russdisciples.bandcamp.com/

Facebook: russ disciple

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sargantbrown?feature=mhum
Rootsdriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rootsdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2008 at 12:36pm
This is turning into a really interesting thread. It`s one thing finding weak spots on any product but it`s another thing when improvements go along with it. Really nice job!!
Are you going to add a "Pimp my Pre" programm too or sell mod kits?

Quote Jo:
I can tell you now that the build quality is 10 time worser than JTS. This doesnt mean it sound bad.

Really waiting for this report. I`d say that most electrical products are not really meant to be opened as most do not know what they see anyway. I am more interested into the functionality but on the other hand, if this will result in improvements again, nothing wrong with that.

Keep it coming.
wasup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2008 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Joseph Redhemption Joseph Redhemption wrote:

Raspect
Jo

Well dont forget some Photos highlighting the bad build quality! please.............
a butterfly can cause an whirl wind!
Plant a sead and JAH WORKS BE DONE!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>