Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tapped horn design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tapped horn design
    Posted: 21 January 2007 at 5:34pm
Finally managed to register on the forum What's with all the cookie securtiy issues?

I have built 5 boxes with this design. tried a couple of different 15" drivers by 18Sound and RCF and they both work well. B&C and PD do drivers that should work but they don't look as good value IMO. The drawing below is of the origninal prototype I did with all the bracing removed for clarity. The cabinet width is the same as a LAB Sub - you should be able to work the rest out for yourselves. It is difficult to model this - you really need BoxCAD although you can get an idea from using HornResp and MJK's TL spreadsheets.

Done a couple of dozen gigs with them including Brockie a few weeks ago. Sound is really good. Been using 2.5KW amp into each cab and 35Hz HPF without exceeding xmax. Planning a shootout against a few other designs in Bristol soon that I should get some accurate response plots for a stack of four from. PM me if you would like to come along.

Kudos to Tom Danley for the tapped horn concept and the range of products he has developed. I don't know how close this is to his designs internally but performance seems in the same ball park. Would never have built anything like this without relying on his work - so thanks

cheers
Phil (AKA Snowflake)
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 6:42pm
thankyou phil, glad you felt you could share this in the end. i am intrigued by the way the horn still opertates as would befit it's significant length, even though the driver doesn't play into the conventional throat area... gives me plenty of food for thought for v2 giatt, but from what you were saying i've certainly got to try one of these as soon as possible!

this has reminded me. drivers, i shall sort it tomorrow phil... ta.

james.
mardy hippy.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 8:51pm
Snailshell scoop!

Yep you can position the driver a wee way down the 'pipe' and it still works. Sometimes it doesnt look like it though.
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 1:06pm
ye i like it, nice and simple to make, right angles and not too many others, it will be intresting to see what people think of it...
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
moray james View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moray james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 5:12pm
Can you provide dimensions and information about what drivers you have used (what worked best) and can you post measurements?
moray james
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 11:18am
hey Phil so dims will work @22.5" wide and scaled to 15" frame reference?

a few questions:
(1) does that first bit of snail action act as a smoothing resonator trap?
(2) might B&C 15tbx40 be ok?
(3) can AJ calculate mutual load cases?

Tom Danley can figure out stuff.

Best,
Freddy

Edited by freddi - 28 January 2007 at 1:11pm
philpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 2:15pm
you are right about the dimensions and I have made the throat (where the driver enters) equal to Sd. not sure what you mean by resonator trap - it's more than just a LPF though. I can't see any reason why that B&C driver wouldn't work. It has plenty of xmax and motor strength and moving mass look about right. I don't know a lot about AJ horn but don't think there is any way of modelling this enclosure. I would be delighted to find out otherwise.

I will post measurements using at least two different drivers as soon as I have them.

cheers
Phil
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 3:20pm
Hi Phil - someone mentioned they 'thought" BoxCad could do it (?)

did you figue lowpass from past horn experiences?-empirically - just wonder how its calculated

forgot to ask - what's ~sensitivity?

Best, Freddy

ps - AJ 5 says something to the effect driver can be moved - might this imply there's enough mobility for transflex?

http://www.aj-systems.de/newfeat.htm

Edited by freddi - 28 January 2007 at 3:34pm
philpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 3:48pm
apparently BoxCAD can model it. I am trying to decide whether I have $300 to spend to find out.

not sure what you are asking about lowpass.

sensitivity is a shade under 105dB from 40 to 90Hz after which it rises steeply to over 110dB

if you can offset the driver in AJ then it will be a better model than in Hornresp. Martin King has done an offset driver TL worksheet that will do this too.

Phil
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2007 at 4:31pm
Hey Phil

ordered AJ so will find out - you're getting good output and appears mouth constants aren't too tight for TD's principle to work.

couple of questions

(1) what did your hornresp input and output data look like?

(2) how did you make a first estimate of what might work well and smoothly without full modeling capibilities? - how might one pick things for a new horn?

(2) how far does this horn seem to extend upwards before things get rough?

Freddy

Edited by freddi - 29 January 2007 at 9:05am
moray james View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moray james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 9:11pm

William Cowan has posted some very useful information on the Tapped Horn at his web site. Check it out.
moray james
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 11:53pm
that's cool and one slanted panel looks like a good way to go and save cutting :^

not sure if that would apply to K-son as aperture leak might ruin the T-H's action (?) and also result might not be pure K

Edited by freddi - 30 January 2007 at 11:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>