Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

terminator horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: terminator horn
    Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:50am
A couple of people have asked for plans for my bdeap clone, which i've called the terminator horn.  There are 2d plans on photobucket which are the are the final dimensions i worked with.  I'm not strongly recommending anybody build them, as i've hardly experimented with them myself yet, the compression ratio is the biggest thing i want to play with.  Also i'll modify the design (and retrofit to my exisiting cabs) something to reduce coupling between the pairs of speakers in them (i use 2 amps to power it at the moment so gain imbalances might be stressing the speakers unduly, this would help alleiviate this in the event of 1 amp failing.)
  I've made a google sketchup model that is shared as "terminator horn".  Actually it ended up 18mm too large LOL) So if u use google sketchup, u can get a useful 3d plan to understand the 2d plans better.

The 2d plan:  I think internet explorer cant render this gif, but firefox did.  This could be followed exactly, however alot of the compound mitres are best made by trial & error with a power-plane & belt sander, especially the baffles & mouth reflectors.

a video showing the internal 3d layout & intended stacking of two cabinets to form the boundary dependent external air-path (bdeap LOL)

small version (9megs):
they are both divx6 but the first one is very high quality...

I hope some1 decides to build more of them (i'll have 4 soon Wink)

cheers,
  Rob.
What I cannot create, I do not understand
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 5:09am
Wow, looks like a really complicated build.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 10:37am
I don't know which would take longer; to build the cab or load the 'photobucket' page! Impressive design though, probably just above 'beginner' level carpentry.LOL

Edited by djeddie - 29 March 2009 at 10:37am
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 4:46pm
It does look deceptively complex, obviously it's harder than a box!  I specified a build order in the plans that allows all the panels be glued & screwed as they are added, so there's no need to wait for glue to set/clamping before continuing.
  However, bear in mind it has four 1Kw drivers in it.  The ammount of effort to build four 1 driver cabs of the same power handling would be considerably more (4 punishers is an obvious comparison) and the wood & weight savings are huge.  The final speaker built from void free Russian birch plywood with ceramic magnet drivers weighs less than 100Kg.  With the big handles at either corner it's quite easy for two people to carry up stairs, with four it's easy (its the same size but lighter than a lab-horn.)  The box is held at each corner with the four drivers at the bottom, so the people carrying it all stand upright, so there's less risk of back-injuries when the boxes do have to be moved by hand.
  If 4 neodymium drivers are used the total weight would drop to about 75-80Kg, which for the power handling & size is excellent.
  Also i must say that despite being built out of 12mm plywood, it is totally robust.  There is no panel vibration when it is being driven (not usually the case for 12mm builds)  This is due to every panel having alot of internal bracing, this is something that worked really well with the design.
  The mouth and handle supports are all doubled up 12mm ply too, so they are 1" thick where the cab needs strength.
  The access panels are made of 4mm aluminum alloy & have been crudely bolted on in this design, i'd recommend recessing them (i'm lazy) They are also heatsinks for the drivers, which i think is essential.
  I'll sell the design more & say that at the same output levels, distortion levels will be close to a lab-horn, this is because even though the drivers in this, ciare12.00sw's have a much stiffer suspention, they will be excursing roughly 1/2 as far as the lab-12 in the labhorn.  However, this has five times the power handling of 1 lab-horn + heatsinking, so possibly up to 10x the long term power handling.  This is also a very responsive/fast horn, mainly due to the air-load on each driver being much smaller than in most bass-horns.  In real use there is little benefit to using a kick horn before an MT122(dual 12") style mid range horn (except for higher power handling & lower intermodulation distortion).  I typically cross out of this box at about 120hz.
  Finally, i designed them to be used in pairs, as in the video, in this configuration they look good to go to 30hz half space.

cheers,
  Rob.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 9:02pm
didn't i see that design before, used in some kind of doorway? in a TQWT forum? i thought i dud
Best regards,
Teun.
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 11:19pm
yep, you might have seen the bdeap32 a design by Tom Danley of servodrive.  The cabinet layout is similar & the design for this was inspired by the bdeap32.  I think it was djk on this forum who gave me a kick in this direction ;)
  The main difference being that my design has 4 drivers rather than 2.  I wanted to get as much power as possible into a manageably sized speaker cabinet.  It's possible to get four of these+2midtops+racks,cabling,decks etc.. into a typical long wheel base van & the whole system (with lightweight amps) could weigh less than 700Kg for 20Kw's worth of speakers!

edit: its soundphysics not servodrive, i think they were the same thing at some point check out http://www.soundphysics.com/SPL-BDEAP32.html

Edited by roborg - 30 March 2009 at 2:08am
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 12:47pm
yes, i think those are the one i was thinking ofWink
i'd be really interested to see some SPL measurements Embarrassed.
Best regards,
Teun.
massisoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massisoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 2:24pm
what about heatsink for driver?
Italian Sound
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by massisoda massisoda wrote:

what about heatsink for driver?

It seems he want to use alluminum access port, like the labhorns or terra horn (2x12" ). Just watching the movies.

Edited by bitzo - 30 March 2009 at 2:33pm
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2009 at 10:10pm
The access panels are the heatsinks, they're made from 4mm H22 alloy.  4mm sounds pretty thin, but h22 is very tough.  Outdoors with a temperature of about 15C and windy conditions the heatsinks got to about about 40C (a very nice hand warmer!)  This was with two behringer ep2500's in bridge mode driving one speaker (4 ciares)  So when they're driven properly they'll be too hot to touch, imagine how hot they'd get with no cooling Dead
  Some mobile pix show them here:

I used two stacked correctly at this party, but never got to turn it up (too loud for the croud Sleepy, for me it was just getting there LOL)

Edited by roborg - 30 March 2009 at 10:20pm
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 11:01pm
I got the finished horns out for a blast last weekend, so had a photo opportunity afterwards.

PS the mid-tops are just placed like that, it's not stacked or anything official like that Wink
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 12:59am
Can you hear a big difference with different splay (included angle) on the bass horns?
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>